WASHINGTON — A federal judge in Maryland late Tuesday ordered federal agencies across 19 states and the District of Columbia to reinstate thousands of probationary workers who were fired as part of White House adviser Elon Musk’s government-slashing agenda. The lawsuit is among dozens brought against President Donald Trump’s second administration over deep cuts to the federal workforce and funding , sweeping arrests and deportations of immigrants, Musk’s access to Americans’ sensitive data, and press access in the White House. Trump and Musk have repeatedly criticized federal judges who have ruled unfavorably, even calling for their impeachment . Arizona Attorney General Kris Mayes touted the preliminary injunction that will lead to Arizonans who were fired as part of Trump and Musk’s purge of the federal workforce getting their jobs back. “Firing probationary employees without following the rules was wrong, and it hurt Arizonans,” Mayes said in a written statement. “I will keep fighting to make sure the Trump administration follows the law and treats workers fairly.” Republicans have assumed the mantle on the issue, criticizing wide-reaching injunctions from U.S. district courts. “Although our Founders saw an important role for the judiciary, they didn’t design a system that made judges national policymakers,” Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley, chair of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary, said in his opening statement at a hearing Wednesday. The Democratic attorneys general who brought the lawsuit against the federal agencies had requested a nationwide injunction, arguing the mass firings were illegal and harmed states financially, but Bredar only applied the order to the plaintiffs’ jurisdictions. Bredar has previously issued a temporary emergency order mandating agencies reinstate employment for all 24,418 fired probationary workers, according to government figures, but expressed reluctance at a March 26 hearing to extend his order nationwide. The breakdown of fired probationary employees by state is unclear and the total number could be from the states involved in the lawsuit or other states or both. Departments and agencies named as defendants in the lawsuit must now return the probationary workers’ jobs to status quo by 2 p.m. Eastern on April 8, Bredar ordered. The agencies also “shall not conduct any future reductions in force (“RIFs”) — whether formally labeled as such or not” involving the affected probationary employees unless the process follows the law, Bredar wrote . The order will remain in place while the case is pending. The states allege the mass firings led by Trump and Musk harmed them because the federal government did not provide the legally required advance notice that gives states time to prepare “rapid response activities” — including unemployment and social services — ahead of an influx of unemployed residents. Bredar highlighted in a memorandum opinion accompanying his order Tuesday that 31 states did not join the lawsuit, writing that nationwide injunctions are required in “rare” instances, and that “this case is not one of them.” “The Court’s injunction is not national in scope because it is possible to substantially stop the harms inflicted on the states that did sue without extending judicial authority over those that didn’t,” Bredar wrote.
CONTINUE READING