Add some flair and personality to your Christmas tree this year with handmade ornaments!
Looking for a fun and beautiful craft to brighten up your holiday decorations this year? These DIY snowflake ornaments (that double as window clings) are a perfect way to get crafty this winter season. They're amazingly simple and only require just a few materials and a little bit of time.
Courtesy of Factory Direct Craft (Facebook)
DIY Snowflake Ornaments
- Hot glue gun
- Hot glue sticks
- Glitter (can use any color desired)
- Parchment paper
- Cooking spray
- Ornament hooks or wire
- Snowflake pattern
- Pick a snowflake pattern. You can find one online or draw your own on a blank piece of paper. Make a few of these patterns in a few different designs remember no two snowflakes are alike.
- Plug in the glue gun and let it warm up.
- Lay the parchment paper over the snowflake pattern. Tape them down to help avoid everything moving around in the middle of making snowflakes.
- Lightly spray parchment paper with cooking spray over the area where the pattern is.
- If making ornaments, place a piece of wire or ornament hook at the top of the pattern. If making window clings, omit this step.
- Trace over the pattern with the hot glue, making the lines thick, you want these to be sturdy.
- Add glitter to glue before it cools and dries (optional, these look great without glitter as well).
- Once dry and cool, peel the snowflake off the paper. Be careful here, go slowly as to not tear the snowflake.
- Trim any extra glue strings and wipe off any leftover cooking spray with a paper towel.
To make the snowflake work as a window cling, simply add a dot of glue to a couple of the corners and stick on the window, it peels right off. Alternatively, one can moisten the non-glittered side (bottom) of the snowflake with water, shake most of it off, then stick the snowflake to the window. An alteration to this craft is to simply trace out a snowflake in hot glue on the window, glitter is optional.
What other ways have you seen to make DIY snowflake ornaments? Have you tried these hot glue snowflakes before? Share any tips and tricks with us in the comments.