Love the thought of cutting down your own Christmas tree? Here are some great options for local Christmas tree farms!
It's truly a family affair when you pack everyone in the car with a picnic lunch and head out to find the perfect Christmas tree. Bundle up and make lots of memories this year at one of these wonderful tree farms.
1. Moose Apple Christmas Tree Farm
- Address: 2425 Wickliffe RD | Berryville, VA
- Website: Moose Apple Christmas Tree Farm
- Phone: (540) 955-2450
This Virginia tree farm boasts over 25,000 trees on the 33-acre property. Their tree varieties include Douglas Fir, ConColor Fir, Norway Spruce, Blue Spruce, White Spruce, and White Pine. In addition to Christmas trees, they have fresh-made wreaths of all sizes and evergreen garlands.
This year, the Christmas tree cutting season starts on November 22 for customers who have pre-tagged their trees. Non-tagged trees will be available for cutting the day after Thanksgiving. In addition to the earlier access, going to the farm to pre-tag your tree gives you the opportunity to take your time selecting just the right one for your home. You can even pack a picnic and make a day of it!
Courtesy of Moose Apple Farm
2. Belmont Christmas Tree Farm
- Address: 7533 Belmont RD | Spotsylvania, VA
- Website: Belmont Christmas Tree Farm on Facebook
- Phone: (540) 854-6757
This Spotsylvania institution has both in-ground and pre-cut Christmas trees available for purchase. Spend the day picking just the right specimen for your home and enjoy goodies from local food trucks while you're at it!
Trees are sold by the foot, and you can also buy wreaths, garlands, and potted trees to decorate your home. Don't forget to visit the she-shed to browse the vintage ornaments.
Courtesy of Belmont Christmas Tree Farm
3. Hartland Farm and Orchard
- Address: 12230 Belle Mead Road | Markham, VA
- Website: Hartland Farm and Orchard
- Phone: (540) 532-0436
No reservations are needed at this family-run farm for the 2020 season, but you should check on their Facebook page for availability before you head out. Cut-your-own Christmas trees are $60 each, and pre-cut trees range from $70 to $170 based on size and variety.
Courtesy of Hartland Farm and Orchard
4. Evergreen Acres and Cedar Run Brewery
- Address: 12801 Hazelwood DR | Nokesville, VA
- Website: Evergreen Acres
- Phone: (703) 203-2641
This Nokesville farm opens a bit later, in December, but is touted as the biggest Christmas tree farm in Prince William County. Bonus for the adult visitors: there's even a brewery on-site!
Free with the price of each tree is your admission, hot mulled cider, and expert netting of your Christmas tree.
Courtesy of Evergreen Acres
Know Before You Go
- Given the state's ever-changing COVID-19 guidelines, make sure to check the farm's requirements before you leave the house. If you have a timed reservation, get there a little early to find parking or check in.
- Follow any posted health and safety rules, especially maintaining a safe distance from other visitors.
- Have a face-covering handy for everyone in your party, including children, just in case.
- Pack a picnic and some beverages, but don't assume pets are welcome on every farm. Plan your outing carefully!
Did we miss your family's favorite Christmas tree farm on our list? Let us know in the comments!