Just 30 miles from the Beltway in Maryland, Breezy Point Beach and Campground is one of the closest beaches in the DMV.
If it's sun and sand you want, you don't have to go that far to find it. Tucked away in Calvert County, Breezy Point Beach is a great place for a quick beach getaway.
You won't get the big crashing waves of the Atlantic Ocean, but this Maryland bay beach is close enough for a simple day trip. Maintained as a state park and campground, Breezy Point Beach has basic amenities like restrooms, picnic areas, and designated parking – for a fee.
You can also try beach camping here, with a separate campground and campers' beach for those who stay overnight.
Photo by Sarina Petrocelly
WHERE: 5300 Breezy Point Road | Chesapeake Beach, MD
HOURS: 6 a.m. to dusk
ADMISSION: $10 per adult, $6 per child or senior on the weekends | $6 per adult, $4 per child or senior on weekdays | FREE for children 0-2 years old at all times
The best time to arrive is early in the morning, especially on the weekends. You'll beat traffic and be sure to find a parking spot in the gated lot. Large families generally take up several picnic tables at a time, so stake yours early if you're planning on using one of the park grills.
The strip of beach is clean, though on the small side. There is a wooden pier for fishing and crabbing, and you can always search for shells or shark teeth in the sand.
Courtesy of Breezy Point Beach and Campground
Know Before You Go
- Pets are not allowed at this state park.
- The swimming area has a jellyfish net that is put up during peak season. Smaller jellyfish can sometimes get through, though!
- There is no lifeguard on duty, so you will be swimming at your own risk.
- The admission fee is cash only, and there isn't an ATM at the park.
- Park staff reserve the right to close the gate if the parking lot is full. Try to get there before noon to ensure a parking spot.
For more information, visit the Calvert County park website.
Have you ever been to Breezy Point Beach? Do you have any tips for first-time visitors? Let us know in the comments!