Lights, Animals, and Holiday Spirit!
USA Today recently released its 10 Best Reader's Choice for 2019's Best Zoo Lights, and Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (CMZoo) took third place!
"Some 50 acres at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo are illuminated with 85 light sculptures during the park's annual Electric Safari. Select animal exhibits remain open during the festivities, and warming fires spread throughout the grounds offer a place to thaw those cold fingers," says the ranking.
You'd have to be a serious Scrooge to not love CMZoo this time of year. In addition to the 85 light sculptures, Electric Safari also features a host of holiday lights, animal demonstrations, the Sky Ride and Carousel, a wonderful view of Colorado Springs, visits from Santa, and holiday cheer at nearly every turn. And, of course, you can feed the giraffes some lettuce in the Giraffe Barn.
Courtesy of CMZoo (Facebook)
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. CMZoo came in behind No. 1 Cincinnati Zoo and No. 2 Lights Before Christmas at the Toledo Zoo.
Overall, the top 10 winners in the USA Today's Best Zoo Lights category are:
- PNC Festival of Lights at the Cincinnati Zoo - Cincinnati
- Lights Before Christmas at the Toledo Zoo - Toledo, Ohio
- Electric Safari at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo - Colorado Springs
- U.S. Bank Wild Lights at the Saint Louis Zoo - St. Louis
- WildLights at Living Desert Zoo and Gardens - Palm Desert, Calif.
- Christmas at the Zoo at the Indianapolis Zoo - Indianapolis
- Lights Before Christmas at Riverbanks Zoo & Garden - Columbia, S.C.
- Philadelphia Zoo LumiNature - Philadelphia
- Holiday Lights at California Living Museum - Bakersfield, Calif.
- L.A. Zoo Lights - Los Angeles
You can visit the Electric Safari at CMZoo now through January 1, 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., with select days closed. Tickets can be purchased online or at the front gate of the zoo. Learn more and get your tickets at CMZoo.org.