Not happy with the local bus service? Metro has proposed making some changes to bus service and is asking customers to express their opinions.
As the demand for more bus routes has become greater, Metro is now proposing to make changes to certain bus routes by using the input of local government and customers, as well as the analysis of cost efficiency, ridership, on-time performance, and corridor studies. In a press release
, Metro indicated that the proposals include more limited stop service in Arlington County, a restructuring of bus services routes on Columbia Pike, extended service in Washington, D.C.’s Wharf development district, as well as extended service on the Arundel Mill Mall and BWI airport route.
Metro is asking customers to provide their input on the proposed changes (which will be presented to Metro’s Board of Directors) by completing an online survey
or filling out a paper survey, which can be obtained by calling the Office of the Secretary at 202-962-2511. Outreach staff will also be seeking feedback in person September 6–21 at various Metrorail stations and on board certain buses. An open house and public hearing will be held on September 26 at Metrorail's headquarters at 600 Fifth Street in Northwest D.C. Customers who wish to provide input can do so until October 2.
The proposed bus service changes would affect the routes listed below:
- The 52, 53, 54, and 59 buses on 14th Street.
- The 62, 63, 64 buses running between Takoma-Fort Totten and Petworth.
- The U5, U6, and U7 routes running between Mayfair, Minnesota Avenue, and Deanwood.
- The X2 and X9 running between H Street and Benning Road.
- The 52 and 74 buses in the Wharf development.
- Service extensions and additions are also planned on the 74, H1, and U8 buses, and service reductions and eliminations are proposed on the 94, 96, and V5 routes.
- The J1, J2, J3 between Bethesda and Silver Spring.
- The Y2, Y7, and Y8 along Georgia Avenue.
- Modifications have also been proposed on the B30, G12, G14, and K12 routes.
- Eliminations and reductions are proposed on the J12.
- Modifications have been proposed on the 7A, 7F, and 22A routes near Pentagon City.
- The 16A, 16B, 16G, 16H, 16J, 16K, and 16P along Columbia Pike also may be modified.
- Additions and extensions are also being considered on the 4B, 11Y, 29K, and 29N routes, while eliminations and reductions have been proposed on the 4A, 10E, and 22B routes.
- Modifications are also being considered on Metroway as well as Smart Trip transfers at the Capitol Heights and Addison Metrorail stations.
More information about the proposed changes can be found on Metrobus’s website
What are your thoughts on the proposed changes? Weigh in below, then don't forget to tell Metro what you think as well!