Gaming week-in-preview! More hadoukens, RPGs, and a spirit-successor to LittleBigPlanet?
This time next week is Valentine's Day. For those of us with significant others or romantic plans, good on you! But if you want a little escapism, a little adventure, a little fun next week—video games are there for you. Below is a quick run-down of some gaming news and releases you can chew on next week!
But, before we get started, don't forget to check out our gaming podcast, Permission 2 Game, with hosts Evan and Aaron! You can watch Permission 2 Game on the Our Community Now YouTube Channel and follow them on Instagram and Facebook for additional gaming news, reviews, and more!
Hot and Out Now! Week of 2/9-2/15:
- Metro Exodus: Sam's Story DLC [PC, PS4, XBO, Stadia] – February 11
A downloadable expansion to last year's first-person survival-horror shooter based on Dmitry Glukhovsky's novels, Metro Exodus.
- Yakuza 5 (The Yakuza Remastered Collection) [PS4] – February 11
Bundles together remastered versions of Yakuza 3, 4, and 5—action-adventure beat-'em-ups that strive to capture the way of life of the Japanese crime syndicate, the Yakuza.
- DAEMON X MACHINA [PC] – February 13
The bombastic third-person mech shooter, previously released for the Nintendo Switch, comes to Steam.
- Necronator: Dead Wrong [PC] – February 13
This comedic little real-time-strategy game, with a "deck-building twist", comes out on Steam in early access with "a good chunk of content".
- Darksiders Genesis [PS4, XBO, Switch] – February 14
The Darksiders games take a departure from their third-person roots for something a little more like a hack-n'-slash Diablo—can hop on with a buddy for some top-down RPG action.
- Dreams [PS4] – February 14
This is a wild one from the same devs that made LittleBigPlanet. Dreams is a "game creation system" that lets you create and share puzzles, music, paintings, and whole games.
- Street Fighter 5: Champion Edition [PC, PS4] – February 14
In Capcom tradition, Champion Edition is a rerelease of Street Fighter 5 that combines all the bonus content they've released for the game so far—a total of 40 characters, 34 stages, and 200+ costumes.
- Snack World: The Dungeon Crawl - Gold [Switch] – February 14
Customize an adventurer and explore randomly-generated dungeons to find rare treasures in this RPG. Team up with up to three other players local or online!
Biggest Hits You Might've Missed:
- Tokyo Mirage Session #FE Encore [Switch] – January 17
- The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners [PC] – January 23
- Journey to the Savage Planet [PS4, XBO, PC] – January 28
- Kentucky Route Zero (consoles) [PS4, XBO, Switch] – January 28
- Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire (consoles) [PS4, XBO] – January 28
Stuff to Get Excited for:
- Doom Eternal [PC, PS4, XBO, Stadia] – March 20
- Half-Life: Alyx [PC VR] – March TBD
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons [Switch] – March 20
- Resident Evil 3 (remake) [PC, PS4, XBO] – April 3
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake [PS4] – April 1
- Minecraft Dungeons [PC, PS4, XBO, Switch] – April TBC
- The Last of Us Part II [PS4] – May 29
From the News Ticker-Tape:
Gaming titan Blizzard Entertainment released Warcraft 3: Reforged, a remastered edition of the 2002 real-time strategy game Warcraft 3. Problem is, almost everyone is disappointed. It's garnered the worst reviews of any Blizzard game ever. Good news if you bought it—they're offering refunds.
If you played online flash games back in the day, it might be sad to you that Adobe is ending Flash support this year. But archivist and programmer "Blue Maxima" has already saved 38,000+ of these historic games and you can play them all on their new launcher, Flashpoint.
Google Stadia, the forerunner in the new "Netflix for games" model that released last November to a lukewarm reception, has a new competitor in Nvidia's GeForce Now. Will it run where Stadia stumbled?
And to round it out—girl gamers are on the rise! UK’s communications regulator, Ofcom, released a report (pdf) that says 48 percent of British girls age 5 to 15 now play games online, up from 39 percent in 2018. Previous polls suggested that girls tended to spend more time on social media, while boys spent more time with video games, but it seems like those differences might be converging.
What do you think? Which video games are you excited to see come out this week? Let us know in the comments below.