This 39-year tradition, A Capitol Fourth, is shown worldwide as the quintessential D.C. fireworks display and concert. This FREE event is open to the public and is something you must experience at least once!
People all over the world will be watching the concert on televisions and live-streams as American classics are performed and fireworks light up the sky over D.C.! A Capitol Fourth is aired live on Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) channels and can be heard everywhere on National Public Radio (NPR) as well.
WHEN: Thursday, July 4, 2019 | Gates open at 3 p.m. | Concert begins at 8 p.m.
WHERE: West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol | First Street SE | Washington, D.C.
ADMISSION: FREE to the public
METRO: Exit at Capitol South, Federal Center SW, or Union Station Metro stops
If you have ever seen the concert on television, you know just how big this event is. People of all ages attend, and the patriotic music will touch everyone who hears it.
PBS pulls together an amazing lineup, and 2019 will be no exception. Keep an eye on their Performers page to see who will be on stage. Past concerts have featured Pentatonix, Carrie Underwood, and even Jimmy Buffett!
Know Before You Go
- Because this is a free event, it gets extremely crowded. Get there early (gates open at 3 p.m.) and stake your spot.
- At press time, there were still plenty of hotel rooms available near the Capitol. It would be worth it to splurge and stay nearby instead of dealing with driving or Metro that night.
- You can bring food and drinks, but alcohol is prohibited. Bags and containers WILL be searched.
- Portable toilet facilities will be available on site.
- Metro is your best bet to get to the Capitol. Parking and street closures will make traffic very difficult around concert time.
For more information or to view videos of past concerts, visit A Capitol Fourth's official website.
**All of the photos in this article are courtesy of A Capitol Fourth's Facebook page.
Have you been to A Capitol Fourth? What did you think of the concert and fireworks? Let us know in the comments!