Fireworks over the Potomac River herald the beginning of the Christmas season at the historic Mount Vernon Estate.
Bundle up and enjoy a night of holiday cheer with George and Martha Washington at this annual Mount Vernon fireworks show. You'll stroll the grounds to the sounds of carols and even see costumed inhabitants of the estate.
- WHEN: December 18 and 19, 2020 | Fireworks start at dusk (approximately 5:30 p.m.)
- WHERE: George Washington's Mount Vernon | 3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Highway | Mount Vernon, VA
- TICKETS: $33 per person | $22 per child (ages 6-11) | FREE for children aged 5 and under
- PARKING: Free surface parking lots
- WEBSITE: Christmas Illuminations at Mount Vernon
Tickets for the estate tour are already sold out, but you can still buy tickets for general admission to the fireworks show. Act fast; there will be a limited number this year due to social distancing guidelines.
Food will be available for purchase, so don't bother packing your own snacks. You can get everything from hot sandwiches to appetizers and sweets, so don't worry about going hungry. Save room for spiked hot chocolate!
Know Before You Go
- The lawn area of Mount Vernon is immense. Feel free to bring a picnic blanket or collapsible camp chair for your comfort.
- Expect a bit of traffic as you exit the estate—there are only two ways to leave, after all. Pack your patience!
- Comfort is key for this outdoor event. Wear layers and sensible shoes. You may have to walk a bit to stake out your spot on the lawn.
- Outside food and drink are prohibited, so leave the picnic basket at home.
- All visitors will be required to wear face coverings and maintain proper social distancing. Click here for the health and safety guidelines.
For more information, or to buy tickets for this event, visit the official Mount Vernon website.
**The photos in this article are courtesy of George Washington's Mount Vernon.
Have you attended this annual fireworks show? Do you have any tips for first-time visitors? Share them with us in the comments!