Bring the whole family out to this quintessential D.C. music festival. Held each year in honor of its namesake D.C. landmark, the Kingman Island Bluegrass and Folk Festival will be great fun for everyone!
Tucked between the banks of the Anacostia River and the RFK stadium neighborhood, Kingman Island is a unique D.C. venue for one of its coolest outdoor festivals. Explore the entire island on foot as you listen to some of the best bluegrass and folk music in the country.
Kids will love the outdoor games, and everyone will have an awesome time at this all-day music festival. REI will even be there with kayaks so you can try paddling along the Anacostia River -- for free!
WHEN: Saturday, May 4, 2019 | 12-8 p.m.
WHERE: Kingman Island in Washington, D.C. | Click here for detailed directions.
TICKETS: $35 per person, general admission | FREE for children 10 and under
VIP TICKETS: $100 per person | Access to the VIP tent, complimentary drinks and snacks, front row to the main stage
PARKING: RFK Stadium Lot 6 will be $10 for the day | FREE bike valet will be available, no locks required.
METRO: Get off at the Stadium-Armory stop and exit toward RFK Stadium.
Will there be food and drinks available?
Yes! Some of the city's best food trucks will be there, spread out between the Main Meadow and the Lower Meadow:
- DC slices
- DC Taco Truck
- Tapas Truck
- Red Hook
- Himalayan Soul Foods
- Miso Honey
- Capital Chicken and Waffles
- Sloppy Mamas
- From Scratch
Because this is an all-day event, organizers encourage you to be prepared. Backpacks with layers of clothing are fine; you will just need to go through a security line at the main entrance.
Prohibited items include outside alcohol, single-use styrofoam or plastic containers, and tents.
Your ticket price will include one reusable cup -- take it around to the beverage vendors and purchase beer, mixed drinks, or non-alcoholic beverages!
You CAN bring your own food, as long as it is in reusable containers. Coolers must be the soft-sided kind, like insulated bags. All liquids in containers will be emptied at the gate. Strollers, leashed pets, camp chairs, and blankets are all permitted as well.
Know Before You Go
- This is a rain-or-shine event. Rain parkas and sturdy shoes that can get wet are highly recommended.
- Bring or wear layers -- you never know what Mother Nature has in store. Don't forget your bug spray and sunscreen!
- The zero waste nature of the event means that you may not bring in single-use plastic or styrofoam items through the main gate.
- Reusable water bottles are permitted, but they must be empty upon arrival.
- You may exit the festival and return, but you will have to go through security screening each time.
- There will be two ATMs available, one at the entrance to the island and one in the Main Meadow. Credit cards will be accepted by many of the vendors.
**All photos in this article are courtesy of the Kingman Island Bluegrass and Folk Festival Facebook page.