What does goofing off look like to you? Throw caution to the wind, kick back, and enjoy the day!
According to National Day Calendar, Monday, March 22, is set aside as National Goof Off Day. I think it's fitting that National Goof Off Day falls on a Monday.
Dream about what is possible today. Can you take a "mental health day" and leave the work for tomorrow? If so, dream big. Play and control cannot exist together. It's okay to let go of control for the next 24 hours ... and goof off.
"Let any goofy idea pop into your head. Make paper airplanes from seed packets. Doodle pictures of poodles in puddles in Peru. Play a game of Jenga with randomly stacked spice jars. Or do the obvious and spend the day in your pajamas doing nothing," says the National Day Calendar.
Too often, we can get so focused on work that we rarely come up for a breath of fresh air (let alone a full day to play). It's worth the time. It's worth the effort. It's worth the overall health benefit of shutting down the critical thinking area of your brain and giving in to whimsy.
Scientists and medical experts have long agreed on the numerous health benefits of playing and goofing off. Here are just a few of the health benefits of play. While we all feel better when we take time to play, we can agree that play:
- Relieves stress
- Keeps you feeling young and energetic
- Improves relationships with others
- Boosts brain activity
- Helps heal emotional wounds
History of National Goof Off Day
This special day was founded by a child who knew how to play, Monica (Moeller) Dufour of Davidson, Michigan. The first celebration was in 1976.
Ways to Observe National Goof Off Day
There is no "right" way to celebrate National Goof Off Day. Let yourself be creative and embrace everything fun! Today is a day to do more than kick back and binge-watch the latest series on Netflix. Playing and goofing off are action verbs. Have a blast, and doing any work is off-limits!
- Play your favorite childhood game such as sock races, red-light-green-light, or charades. Embrace the silliness.
- Write a song. You don't even have to be musically talented. Take a stab at the goofy lyrics to commemorate the day.
- Invite a friend to go to the local aquarium or zoo.
- Act out your favorite scenes from movies. You guessed it ... be sure to capture these scenes on video.
What did you do to goof off today? Share in the comments.