Love a good campfire but you don't have a backyard firepit?
People of all ages will love these family-friendly campfire events! Hosted by Arlington's Department of Parks and Recreation, these fun activities aren't just about s'mores and ghost stories. Some of the themed events are educational and feature nature walks or special arts and crafts. Earworm alert, your kids WILL be learning new sing-alongs!
WHEN: September to November 2019 (see below for full schedule)
WHERE: Gulf Branch Nature Center at 3608 Military Road in Arlington (GB) Phone: 703-228-3403 | Long Branch Nature Center at 625 S Carlin Springs Road in Arlington (LB) Phone: 703-228-6535
ADMISSION: $5 per person | Register online
PARKING: Free surface lots
September 2019: Insect Chorus Campfire (LB) Sat., Sept. 14, from 7 to 8 p.m. | Spider Campfire (LB) Sat., Sept. 21, from 6 to 7 p.m. | Journey of the Eels Campfire (GB) Sept. 27, from 7 to 8 p.m.
October 2019: Squirrels Campfire (GB) Fri., Oct. 4, from 6 to 7 p.m. | Three Owls Campfire (GB) Fri., Oct. 12, from 6 to 7 p.m. | Halloween Animals Campfire (LB) Fri., Oct. 19, from 6 to 7 p.m. | Popcorn Campfire (LB) Fri., Oct. 25, from 6 to 7 p.m.
November 2019: Costumes & Camouflage Campfire (GB) Fri., Nov. 1, from 6 to 7 p.m. | First Thanksgiving Campfire (LB) Fri., Nov. 16, from 5 to 6 p.m. | Blacksmithing Campfire (GB), Fri., Nov. 22, from 5 to 6 p.m. | Vulture Campfire (LB), Sat., Nov. 23, from 5 to 6 p.m.
Know Before You Go
- The Arlington Campfires are not held during inclement weather. If rain or snow is in the forecast, call the location for an event update.
- Seating may be limited, so bring a blanket or camp chairs.
- Even though they're held outdoors, pets are not permitted at campfire events.
- Dress in layers—you never know about our tricky fall weather once the sun goes down.
- Wear comfortable shoes in case the ground is wet and consider bringing a waterproof layer to put on the ground or damp seating.
For more information, visit the Arlington County Department of Parks and Recreation website. You can also call the appropriate venue for immediate assistance.
**All of the photos in this article are courtesy of Unsplash.
Have you attended an Arlington campfire event? Do you have any tips for first-timers? Let us know in the comments!