Grab your galoshes and rain gear. Oh, and a friend with a sense of humor and adventure.
Some holidays inspire us to honor loved ones while others give us the opportunity to channel the kid inside and be silly. Today is that day. According to National Day Calendar, January 11 is set aside as National Step in a Puddle and Splash Your Friends Day.
Now before we get much further, let's get some things straight. The nature of this holiday is for silly fun ... not for ruining a friend's brand-new suede jacket. Let's all join in the fun today ... and be nice!
Whether you live on the beaches of Florida or in the mountains of Colorado, you can participate in National Step in a Puddle and Splash Your Friends Day. As you're walking together to the coffee shop, jump in a puddle with both feet to see just how big a splash you can make. When you and your co-workers are heading home after a long day, stomp in that puddle in the parking lot and watch the surprise on their faces. You get the idea. This is a seize the moment kind of day.
"If you are feeling somewhat mischievous (in a nice kind of way), join in on the celebration that all kids will love and all the young-at-heart adults will love just the same. Put on your boots, raincoats, slickers and grab some rubber duckies, too. Skip along the way. Splashing in puddles can be a terrific way to relieve stress. There’s no right or wrong way to splashing or stepping in a puddle. We’re going to get wet and probably a little dirty no matter how you do it. So splash away." ~National Day Calendar
If you live in colder climates, watch the weather (and walking paths) for the best opportunity. You might need to look for areas of melted snow or be creative (and safe) while celebrating today.
Ways to Celebrate National Step in a Puddle and Splash Your Friends Day
- Scope out a great puddle near a favorite lunch spot. Invite a friend to join you for lunch (and a splash!).
- Let's Play Music has a great collection of kids' songs all about puddles. Grab your kids and sing while you splash around.
- Capture the frivolity in photos and video. Here's a great blog by Run Wild My Child with tips on catching the best shot of your fun. She also reminds all of us of the benefits of splashing around and getting dirty.
- Just like in a pool, be sure you're ready to get wet when your friend splashes back.
- Come back inside, take a bath, and warm up with a cup of hot cocoa.
How have you celebrated National Step in a Puddle and Splash Your Friends Day? Did you get splashed back? Tell us in the comments below.