Celebrate the Kennedy Center’s new REACH campus with "Black Panther" and 500 other free events.
Millions of years ago, a meteorite made of the strongest substance in the universe crashed into the continent of Africa, forever changing the world. Join the Kennedy Center as they unveil their newly expanded campus and explore the beautiful yet mysterious lands of Wakanda, uncover the secrets of vibranium, and follow T’Challa on his quest to become king.
Journey into Wakanda
On September 17, you can fight alongside T’Challa as he challenges Killmonger for the title of Black Panther. The outdoor screening of Black Panther starts at 8 p.m. at the John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts and is part of the center’s REACH Opening Festival.
All you have to do to attend is reserved a free timed-entry pass and you will be granted access to the festival. You can reserve these passes in person at the Kennedy Center Box Office, online at bit.ly/KenCenREACH, or by calling 202-467-4600.
The REACH Opening Festival
Courtesy of the Kennedy Center
Black Panther is not the only hero making an appearance at the Kennedy Center this September. The REACH Opening Festival is a party to celebrate the Kennedy Center’s newly expanded campus, and they are inviting some amazingly creative local talent. Over 16 days and nights, you can join the center as they share over 500 events that inspire creativity, evoke emotions, and spark the imagination.
Here is just a small glimpse at what you can see and do at the REACH Opening Festival:
- Screening of Duke Ellington’s Washington | September 11
- Rap improv workshop | September 12
- Learn the history of House music with DJ Divine | September 13
- Film Screening of Selma, Lord Selma | September 13
- Jam out with Night Glitter | September 13
- Watch D.C. native Dave Chappelle’s Block Party | September 14
- Season Premiere Screening of Hip Hop: The Songs that Shook America | September 14
- Hip Hop with D.C.’s Grammy-nominated rapper, Kokayi | September 14
- Sing-along with The Muppet Movie | September 15
- Check out D.C.’s human beatbox, Christylez Bacon | September 15
- Relive Jim Henson’s career in D.C. | September 15
- Performance from Grammy winner, Robert Glasper| September 19-22
- See Netflix’s HOMECOMING: A Film by Beyoncé | September 22
- Party with rapper and producer Q-Tip
- The Virtual Reality Lounge | Multiple Days
- Watch episodes of America to Me | Multiple Days
- Explore art workshops and make dance puppets | Multiple Days
- Test your comedy improv skills or show off your acting talent | Multiple Days
- Meet and greet local chefs | Multiple Days
- Laugh with local comedians | Multiple Days
- Dance classes | Multiple Days
- Yoga and live music | Multiple Days
Check out the full schedule at the Kennedy Center’s REACH Opening Festival website and be sure to reserve your spot online. You can even download the REACH Fest app and create your own custom schedule right on your phone.
So, what are you waiting for? Head over to the REACH Opening Festival and let us know what you put on your schedule! See ya there!