Local pilots will show their support and raise money for essential workers.
On Thursday, May 14, people in the Denver area may want to look up because there's going to be another flyover to honor essential workers fighting COVID-19 in Colorado.
The "aerial parade" will feature about 40 aircraft and is organized by Governor Jared Polis, Lockheed Martin, and Mile High United Way. Set to take off at 11:30 a.m. and last until 1 p.m., the planes will take off from the Rocky Mountain Airport in Broomfield and fly over most of the metro area, from Castle Rock to Longmont.
Airplanes have been donated by local aviators, including fuel and labor. Organizers have asked people to watch from their homes and make donations to local heroes through the Colorado COVID Relief Fund. Lockheed Martin will match donations up to $500,000.
“The planes in this aerial fundraising parade will vary in type, style, and speed ranging from small jets to propeller planes. They are all Civilian Aircraft and most planes are former Military Aircraft known as “Warbirds.” The others are civilian Air Show aerobatic aircraft. Aircraft will fly together in formation groupings organized by speed while traversing the Metro area. From their homes, viewers will see three to four total groups of planes fly overhead at approximately 150 miles per hour (compared to the United States Air Force Thunderbird flyover which happened at about 500 miles per hour),” from the organizers.
You can check out the flight path below:
Courtesy of Colorado Aviation Photography (Facebook)
This is a list of approximate locations and times; these are locations recommend for photographers wanting to catch a good shot.
- 11:30 a.m. & 11:50 a.m. - Lutheran Medical Center
- 11:35 a.m. & 11:55 a.m. - Denver Federal Center near 6th & Kipling
- 11:35 a.m. & 11:45 a.m. - Columbine High School
- 11:40 a.m. & 12:00 p.m. - Castle Rock Star
- 11:40 a.m. & 12:05 p.m. - Parker Football Stadium
- 11:50 a.m. & 12:10 p.m. - Denver Health
- 11:53 a.m. & 12:12 p.m. - Anschutz Medical Campus
- 11:56 a.m. & 12:20 p.m. - Southlands Mall
- 12:05 p.m. & 12:35 p.m. - Longmont H.S.
- 12:10 p.m. & 12:45 p.m. - CU Boulder
- 12:15 p.m. – 12:45 p.m. - Rocky Mountain Metro Airport
We know we'll be heading outside to see this display of fellow Coloradans supporting each other. Share any pictures/video you get of the "aerial parade" in the comments.