These mushrooms will make a person sick soon after eating, can cause severe illness, and even lead to the death of both humans and pets alike.
Colorado recently made a splash in the world when psychedelic mushrooms were legalized in Denver, but psilocybin mushrooms are not the only fancy fungi that can be found in the state. Mushrooms are important to the ecosystem as they breakdown dead plants and animals and return the nutrients back to the earth. In fact, many species are edible and delicious, becoming an earthy addition to a dish and used all over the world as a cooking ingredient.
Colorado has close to three thousand species of mushroom, according to Walking Mountains Science Center. Of these, 50 to 100 are edible, and around 100 are poisonous.
As the weather cools down and we all head outside for fall hikes, pumpkin patches, and autumn fun, it'll be tempting to pick mushrooms that we see growing in the wild. This is not advisable, as many species that grow around the state are poisonous to humans and pets.