Stop by one of several locations on Saturday to get free mulch for your spring gardening.
Denver's annual Mulch Giveaway & Compost Sale are happening on Saturday, May 1. Residents can stop by one of several locations to pick up free mulch and purchase compost for their spring gardening or backyard farming projects.
The event will start at 9 a.m. through 2 p.m. and is only open to Denver residents. Organizers remind participants to bring a facial covering and their own loading tools.
The city made the mulch from collecting old Christmas trees through Denver's Treecyle Program. Throughout January, Denver Recycles recycled the trees into the compost and mulch offered this weekend.
There are a few differences for the event this year. The free mulch and compost sale have been separated to lessen crowds at various locations. There will also be "dig-your-own mulch" piles to reduce contact between people. Learn more about the event and guidelines here.
Here's where you can get your pile of free mulch:
- Havana Nursery: 10450 Smith Rd.
- Bear Creek Park: South of Dartmouth Ave. on Raleigh St.
- Sloan’s Lake Park: Sheridan Blvd. & 17th Ave.
- Veterans Park: Iowa Ave. & Vine St.
You can also buy compost at the following locations:
- Ace Hardware Alameda Station: 417 S. Broadway
- Ace Hardware Cherry Creek: 1427 S. Holly St.
- Ace Hardware Tamarac Square: 3333 S. Tamarac Dr.
- Ace Hardware University Hills: 2500 S. Colorado Blvd.
- A1 Organics Commerce City: 9109 Monaco St., Henderson (bulk only)
- A1 Organics Sheridan: 2300 Radcliff Ave., Sheridan (bulk only)
Mulch and compost are an essential part of growing healthy plants. They keep the soil moist and reduce the need to fertilize often. Adding mulch or compost to your soil can also control weed growth and protect shallow plants from harm.
Are you planning on picking up some free mulch this weekend? What are you planning to grow this season? Let us know in the comments.