Now that the holidays are over, how do you get rid of that Christmas tree?
Well, it was a long year and we finally made it to 2021, but that Christmas tree is looking a little bit worse for wear. In fact, it's definitely beyond its prime, turning a little dry, and honestly becoming a fire hazard. It's time to let it go! (You're singing now, aren't you?) If you live in or around the Baltimore area, here are your avenues for getting rid of that old tree.
Anne Arundel County
Leave your tree out for curbside collection with your trash or take it to be recycled for mulch.
Leave your tree out for curbside collection with your trash. This service runs from January 2-February 6. If you're looking for a greener option, take your tree to the Northwest Citizens' Convenience Center (aka Sisson St.) to be recycled for mulch (Monday-Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.). Make sure to bring a container or bag for the mulch.
Leave your tree out for curbside collection with your trash. This service runs from January 11-23 (NOTE: best to have the tree out by January 16). If you miss your day, you can drop off the tree at one of the facilities in White Marsh, Halethorpe, or Cockeysville.
- Hampstead: curbside pickup, January 4 and 11
- Manchester: curbside pickup, January 6 and 13
- Mount Airy: curbside pick up, January 16
- New Windsor: curbside pick up, January 18.
- Sykesville: curbside pick up, normal designated trash day
- *Westminster: call to schedule pick up on normal designated bulk trash day
*Trees can also be dropped off in Westminster, in the designated dumpster beside the Locust Lane skatepark.
Drop off your tree for recycling between December 26-January 31 at one of these facilities:
- Harry Grove Stadium lower parking lot
- Husky Park Yard 2 on Highland Street
- Tasker’s Chance parking lot on Key Parkway
- Max Kehne parking lot on West 7th Street
Drop off your tree (along with any other yard waste) at one of these facilities:
- Harford Mulch & Compost
- Tollgate Residential Yard Trim
- Prior to January 16: *curbside pickup on normal designated yard trim day (composted or mulched).
- After January 16: *curbside pickup on normal designated trash day (landfill).
*Make sure the tree is bundled and no longer than 4 feet.
If you miss the pick up prior to January 16 and want the tree composted, you can drop it off at Merry Mulch sites listed on this flyer, or take it directly to the Alpha Ridge Wood Waste Area.
Leave your tree out for curbside collection on a normal designated recycling day.
Prince George's County
Leave your tree out for curbside collection on normal designated yard trim collection day from December 30-January 27.
Any suggestions for other ways to recycle that Christmas tree? Let us know in the comments.