Looking for a fun, fall day trip? You'll love George Washington’s Mount Vernon estate for its lush grounds and rich history.George Washington's historic Mount Vernon estate makes a great destination any time of the year, but fall and early winter offer the best weather and a full calendar of seasonal events! Where: 3200 Mount Vernon Memorial Hwy, Mount Vernon, VA 22121 Hours: Open 365 days a year | April–Oct.: 9 a.m.–5 p.m. | Nov.–Mar.: 9 a.m.–4 p.m. Tickets: $20 -- adults ($18 online) | When you purchase your ticket, you will select a time slot for your tour of the mansion. You are free to roam the remainder of the grounds as you wish. Parking: FREE Located about 16 miles from D.C., Mount Vernon was the home and estate of the United States' first president, George Washington. About 70 percent of the house is original, while the remaining 30 percent has been restored to how it was believed to be during Washington’s time living there. From the servants' and slaves’ quarters to the main house, you'll be able to walk down the very hallways where George and Martha walked and view the very rooms where they lived (and where George died!). Tour guides are stationed around the house to explain the different spaces and answer any questions.
The various outbuildings will show you where slaves did laundry, stored meat, and kept their horses. And if you follow the path towards the picturesque wharf, you can view George and Martha Washington’s tombs, as well as those of a dozen of their family members. The wharf offers a ton of information about the history of the Potomac River, and you can experience it first-hand by taking a boat ride!
Of course, Mount Vernon has a fully-stocked gift shop (including an entire section devoted to Christmas gifts and decor!). There’s also a food court and restaurant on the premises. The food court is pretty sparse, but head to the Mount Vernon Inn Restaurant to experience a classic meal inspired by Washington’s time period. All information on menus can be found here. There is still a great deal of research being done on the Washingtons and their impact. You can visit the museum to learn more about the history, and even check out the library, which is located across the street from the estate grounds.
Mount Vernon has tons to do, and if you’re interested in history, this is definitely a place worth checking out. You’ll love the beautiful grounds and views of the Potomac, and you’ll learn so much -- not only about George Washington himself, but how people lived at the time. Plus, you can bring your dog (nothing beats dog friendly)! View the estate's full event calendar here. And to learn more about the estate, the history of the Washingtons, and the preservation of the property, visit the website here. Have you visited Mount Vernon before? What was your favorite part? Let us know in the comments below!