Last week, Washington, D.C., firefighters were able to save a cat from a burning building. The cat is now on the mend, and there were no casualties.

Right before Easter, a fire broke out at an apartment building in Columbia Heights. Washington, D.C., firefighters quickly responded to the scene and helped save a cat as well as all of the apartment residents. The fire occurred on the 1400 block of Girard Street NW, according to D.C. Fire and EMS Department spokesman Vito Maggiolo. The fire is believed to have been started by an accidental kitchen mishap and quickly spread through the second and third floors of a four-story building. As scared residents ran out onto the streets, a small tabby cat was left behind. Thankfully, Washington, D.C., firefighters went into the building. [caption id="attachment_8540" align="aligncenter" width="532"]save a cat Courtesy of D.C. Fire and EMS[/caption] When the firefighters entered the burning building, they found a cat hanging onto something for dear life. The poor cat was so terrified, he just clung to the closest object. For this scared kitty, the firefighters were about to become his heroes. The firefighters carried the cat out of the building and carefully administered oxygen through a mask. The kitty was so exhausted he just lay in his savior's arms. You can watch a video of his rescue here! [caption id="attachment_8541" align="aligncenter" width="557"]save a cat Courtesy of D.C. Fire and EMS[/caption]
The firefighters successfully stopped the fire and prevented any people from getting injured. Maggiolo gave an update on the cat Sunday night. He said the cat has "vastly improved" and was recovering at the city's animal welfare agency. Maggiolo says authorities recommend that occupants of a burning building get out as soon as possible, without taking anything with them. For many animal lovers this might be tough advice to follow. Pet owners should prepare for incidents such as a house fire ahead of time to prevent these hard choices. One of the easiest ways to protect your cat from a fire is to prevent a fire from occurring. Be careful when you are cooking, grilling, etc., and be especially careful with candles. Cats are curious creatures and can get themselves burned by a candle or knock the candle over. It's also important to make sure your pet is microchipped. If you and your pet are separated during a disaster, a microchip can help identify your cat if they are found. Finally, pet owners can buy emergency stickers that go on their window to let first responders know how many animals are in the home. [caption id="attachment_8542" align="aligncenter" width="465"]save a cat Courtesy of Pinterest[/caption] What do you think? Are you and your pets prepared in case of a house fire?

DC is the most frugal city in the country? Really?