This week we're covering Hayley Williams, The Weekend & Ariana Grande, Chvrches, and more!
It's our weekly song review where we dissect five new songs released this past week, April 18–25. Let us know what you think of our picks.
"Colour Me In" by Hayley Williams
Released: April 23, 2021
Album: Good Music to Avert the Collapse of American Democracy
- Eerily beautiful musical composition
- Subtle use of strings that add an extra layer of depth
- Incredibly soft, reminiscing vocals in perfect harmony with a wistfulness of song
Standout Lyrics: "Something new and nothing to do and I'm just the idea/ I must be real 'cause somehow I feel that I'm just the idea / Let's share the blue of the towering sky / The green of the hills that roll by / Leave the red of your heart to decide / If you cannot choose which colour to use"
"He Said She Said" by Chvrches
Released: April 22, 2021
- Vulnerable lyrics describing how women deal with their body image in the eyes of others
- Mesmerizing synths and percussion melded with pop, bluesy guitar chords
- Pops of vocals sang loudly and firmly, mirror the lyrical content
Standout Lyrics: "He said 'You need to be fed / But keep an eye on your waistline' and / "Look good, but don't be obsessed"
"I Need Some of That" by Weezer
Released: April 21, 2021
Album: Van Weezer, out May 7, 2021
- Rock-crazy, grandiose introduction
- Mellow, synchronous percussion serving as the song's backbone
- Sing-along worthy chorus that amps up the chaos, which is a perfect juxtaposition to the verses' more mellow pace
Standout Lyrics: "Listening to Aerosmith / Later on I will call my mom / Now I'm pluggin' in to a Marshall stack / I can be anything I want"
"The First Day" by Villagers
Released: April 20, 2021
Album: Fever Dreams
- Vivid, poetic imagery involving nature throughout lyrics
- Almost a clash of sounds, with slow, soft verses carried by hopeful piano notes before rock-heavy chorus kicks in backed by the same quiet piano
- Purposefully restrained vocals never rising above chorus' emotional discharge
Standout Lyrics: "Feels like snowflake, feels like sunshine / Feels like soft rain, feels like sweet rhyme / Feels like falling in love / On the first day of the rest of your life"
"Save Your Tears" (Remix) by The Weekend and Ariana Grande
Released: April 23, 2021
Album: Remix from After Hours' single
- Most of the original song is still intact, including the difference in vocal range from The Weekend
- Mesmerizingly creepy music video
- Grande's haunting vocals starting during the second verse, mirroring the depth and emotion The Weekend brings
- Intermingling of the artists' two songs, especially during the chorus
Standout Lyrics: "Meet you once under a Pisces moon / I kept my distance 'cause I know that you / Don't like when I'm with nobody else / I couldn't help it, I put you through hell"
If you missed last week's review, click here.
Did you enjoy this week's music review? Let us know in the comments.