A bear attacked a human last Sunday night in Aspen, making it the third incident over the last three months.

Because of the frequency of bear attacks, Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) is urging Coloradans to be vigilant and meticulous about securing trash and locking their cars and their homes.

The latest incident occurred at 11:30 p.m. on Sunday, August 18, at the 300 block of E. Hopkins Ave. A black bear, weighing between 350 to 400 pounds, was spotted inside a dumpster by a local restaurant manager. The manager attempted to scare the bear out of the dumpster which resulted in the bear feeling threatened and attacking. The bear quickly climbed out of the dumpster and bit the restaurant manager in the leg, resulting in four deep puncture wounds. Fortunately, the man was able to run off without being the victim of a second attack.

The CPW has repeatedly warned Coloradans to stay away from bears for their own protection as well as the protection of the animals. "We've told people over and over, this is what typically happens when bears get comfortable around humans," stated CPW Area Wildlife Manager Matt Yamashita in a recent press release. "We are going to act to protect people, but if some folks can't be bothered to protect themselves, we hope they at least act to protect bears."

In the hours following the attack, the CPW and the Aspen Police Department worked together in search of any additional physical evidence in the alley. They also searched for signs of the bear but it was not found anywhere near the premises. As part of the ongoing investigation, CPW officers are required to collect DNA samples from the man's clothing and wounds in order to correctly identify the animal. If the bear is found, the protocol is to put the animal down.

A previous attacked occur less than a month ago. On July 27, a 500-pound bear attacked a man at the Aspen Meadows Resort. The attack resulted in scratches down the man's arm and torn clothing. CPW officers have not found the bear responsible.

The first attack occurred on May 27, when a 230-pound bear bit a woman who was hiking on the Hunter Creek Trail. The CPW officers were able to locate and kill the bear several days later. 

Sound off in the comments below with your thoughts.