Worst first day of school ever.

Schools are heading back into session across the country, and those offering in-person learning are already getting their feet wet in this new reality of continuing our day-to-day lives in the midst of dealing with the coronavirus.

A student at Greenfield-Central Junior High School in Indiana tested positive for the virus on the first day of school.

According to the Associated Press, this student had tested for the virus days earlier and still attended school that first day, despite not having the results back. The school was not notified that the child had even been tested until halfway through the first day of classes when the test results came back positive.

Superintendent Dr. Harold Olin sent a letter home to the parents, revealing the news:

“We understand that this information will cause concern for some of you. It was very evident today that nearly all of our families and students were prepared to properly follow the safety protocols we have established. Adhering to these protocols is essential for maintaining a safe environment for all students and staff.”

However, Olin isn't fazed by this event. "This really does not change our plans," he told the Associated Press. "We knew that we would have a positive case at some point in the fall. We simply did not think it would happen on Day One."

He explained in his letter that, once the school learned of the student's positive test, it jumped to its "Positive Covid-19 Test Protocol," which had the student isolate inside the school's clinic. It also included studying the student's schedule and figured out who he/she was in contact with, such as teachers, students, and staff. Apart from disinfecting the school frequently, the areas where the student had been were given more intense care. Those the student interacted with were considered a "close contact" and are required to self-isolate for 14 days before coming back to the school. If any were to test positive, they must self-isolate for 10 days and be symptom-free for at least 72 hours before returning.

Some did not take too kindly to the news ...

“I think it’s kind of selfish of the parents of the student, sending their kids to school or kid to school knowing that they may or may not have it," another student's mother, Samantha Kiefer, told Indy Star

Only 15 percent of students chose to stay at home, although the school gave families the option for in-person learning or to continue to work at home virtually.

What do you think? Should the family have kept the student home until they had test results back? Leave a comment to get the discussion started!