D.C. residents and nonprofit organizations may soon be eligible for discounted water bills through the Clean Rivers Impervious Area Charge Relief.

What is the Clean Rivers Impervious Area Charge (CRIAC)?

The CRIAC is a fee added on to D.C. water bills to pay for a project created to reduce the discharge of raw sewage and stormwater runoff into the Anacostia River, Potomac River, and Rock Creek. Over the past decade, this charge has gone up to help cover the $2.7 billion needed for this project.

Courtesy of Tripsavvy

Who is eligible for CRIAC relief?

Both D.C. renters and homeowners can apply for three different levels of discounts through the Customer Assistance Program (CAP). See the income guidelines for each discount level here. Depending on your household income, your discount may be anywhere from approximately $210 to over $750 per year.

Nonprofit organizations registered with a real property tax exemption as a charitable organization, religious house of worship, or cemetery are eligible if they can demonstrate that the CRIAC is one percent or greater than their annual revenue after expenses. Demonstrating this financial hardship and completing a stormwater mitigation project are both necessary to meet the eligibility requirements. To read more about the requirements and guidelines for nonprofit organizations, visit the Department of Energy and Environment website.

Courtesy of Unsplash

How do you apply for CRIAC relief?

The residential application for CRIAC relief can be found online here. Complete the form and email your application and documentation to criac.residential@dc.gov or mail the printed application and documentation to DOEE, Attn: CRIAC Residential Relief Program, 1200 First Street NE, 5th Floor, Washington, D.C. 20002.

The nonprofit application form will be available in January, so read through the information page and check on your eligibility. You can also schedule an appointment at one of the Nonprofit CRIAC Relief Application Community Help Desks.

Who can you contact with questions about the CRIAC relief application?

For more information about the CRIAC relief, you can call the D.C. Department of Energy & the Environment at (202) 741-0861. You can also send an email to Matt Johnson at the DOEE at CRIAC.Relief@dc.gov.

What have you experienced with the ever-increasing CRIAC on your D.C. water bill? Let us know in the comments below!

Are you a furloughed government worker? Here's how to get a free lunch.

and ...

Check out D.C.'s own Our Community Now homepage for more local news, events, and features!