Hampton Roads is preparing for the worst with these closings and cancellations.
As Hurricane Florence approaches, with landfall set for Thursday, September 13, the Virginia peninsula is right in its path. Here's what's closing in the Hampton Roads region for the anticipated Category 5 hurricane, as of 12 p.m. on Tuesday, September 11.
- Norfolk Public Schools have canceled classes for Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Norfolk Academy is closed through Friday, Sept. 14.
- Norfolk Collegiate School is closed starting Tuesday until further notice.
- Old Dominion University is closed, with all classes and events canceled Tuesday through Sunday.
- Tidewater Community College will be closed at all campuses on Tuesday, Sept. 11, until further notice.
- Norfolk State University has canceled classes starting at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday. Classes will resume Monday, Sept. 17.
- City Council has moved up its formal meeting on Tuesday. The formal meeting now starts at 1 p.m., rather than the scheduled 7 p.m. The council also has canceled the informal work session portion of the meeting, which typically starts at 4:30 p.m.
- Waterside District will close Tuesday and remain closed until weather conditions are safe.
- The Chrysler Museum of Art closed at noon on Tuesday and will remain closed until further notice.
- The Draken Harald Hårfagre at Nauticus is postponed.
- Norfolk Botanical Garden will be closed Thursday and Friday. All classes are canceled. For updates, visit their website at norfolkbotanicalgarden.org.
- Eastern Virginia Medical School will be closed Wednesday through Sunday, Sept. 16. All lectures, exams, and operations at Eastern Virginia Medical School facilities are canceled.
- Chesapeake Public Schools will close on Tuesday until further notice.
- Chesapeake City Council for Tuesday has been canceled.
- All Chesapeake campuses of Tidewater Community College will be closed on Tuesday, Sept. 11, until further notice.
- Portsmouth Public Schools have canceled classes beginning Tuesday until further notice.
- The Public Work Session and City Council meeting for Tuesday have been canceled.
- All Portsmouth campuses of Tidewater Community College will be closed on Tuesday, Sept. 11, until further notice.
- All Portsmouth waste management services – including trash, bulk, and recycling collections – will be canceled from 5 p.m. Tuesday until further notice.
- Virginia Beach Public Schools have canceled classes starting Tuesday until further notice.
- All Virginia Beach campuses of Tidewater Community College will be closed on Tuesday, Sept. 11, until further notice.
- Regent University is closing at 2 p.m. Tuesday. They will reopen Monday, Sept. 17.
- Virginia Wesleyan University has canceled all classes and on-campus events from Wednesday through Saturday.
- The Neptune Festival's 22nd Annual Fall Wine Festival, scheduled for Saturday and Sunday at the Oceanfront, has been canceled. Ticket holders will be refunded in the same payment form they used to buy their tickets.
- 757 Battle of the Beers, scheduled for Saturday at Camp Pendleton, has been rescheduled to Oct. 20.
- Christopher Newport University will be closed Wednesday through at least noon Sunday. All classes are canceled during that time. Residence halls close at 11 a.m. on Wednesday.
- Hampton Public Schools will be closed starting Tuesday; staff that are not in Zone A (mandatory evacuation zone) report.
- Hampton Roads Academy is closing as of 11:30 a.m. on Tuesday.
- Thomas Nelson Community College is closed Tuesday through Sunday; all classes are canceled.
- York County School Division is closed until further notice.
Find more closings here.
Do you know of a closure that we missed on our list? Post it in the comments below! Be safe!