Talk about a dream job!
The Devils Backbone Brewing Company in Virginia has an open position, and this one is likely to appeal to many. Located just miles from the Appalachian Trail in the Blue Ridge Mountains, the brewing company hears a lot about how people wish they had time to hit the trail and make the famous trek. So, they decided to help out, by creating an official trail hiking position.
The "Chief Hiking Officer" will be paid $20,000 and supplied with top-notch outdoor gear. Oh, and a lot of free beer. The job entails hiking 2,200 miles across multiple states, having occasional beer parties, and documenting the journey on social media.
Hayes Humphreys, the Chief Operating Officer at Devils Backbone Brewing Company, to Insider. "We're located just off the Appalachian Trail at mile marker 842 and since opening, we've hosted thru-hikers who want to rest and recharge on their zero-day. These folks really understand how life-altering it is to slow down and take in what's going on around you. They're the ones who inspired our Chief Hiking Officer position.” He went on to say Given the state of things today, we could all use some restorative time in the great outdoors."
Here are the non-negotiables:
- Applicants must be 21 and over.
- Applicants must live in a state where Devil’s Backbone brews are sold (Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Washington, D.C., and West Virginia.)
- Passionate about craft beer.
- Knows how to create great creative content.
- Must be an experienced hiker and wilderness adventurer, this is the Appalachian Trail after all not a walk around the city park!)
- Submit a 60-second video explaining why you are the best fit for the job.
- Entries are being taken until July 31, 2020.
Check out the application and rules.
Finalists will be selected and go through two more phases of interviews. The final selection will be announced in the fall of 2020, and the winner will hike the trail across 14 states for five to seven months starting in the spring of 2021.
For those who love to hike and always enjoy a cold brew after a day on the trail, this might just be the best job ever! Does this sound like the job of your dreams? Comment below.