Hot dog! We’ve got Disney’s fried pickle recipe!
Whether you’re a roller coaster fanatic or a theme park foodie, you’re probably missing a lot of fun (not to mention tasty treats) this season. The Happiest Place on Earth has spoiled us with its Dole Whips, popcorn, pretzels, turkey legs, "grey stuff," and Mickey-shaped everything.
If you’ve been missing theme park food and novelty treats as much as I have, you’ll certainly flip for this recipe for Disneyland’s fried pickles. They’re salty, crunchy, and the perfect portable snack for walking around the park (or the back yard). DIY instructions for Zesty House dipping sauce is also included.
Fried pickles are served at Carnation Café on Main Street U.S.A. at California’s Disneyland. If you happen to be on the East Coast, Walt Disney World’s (a.k.a. The Most Magical Place on Earth) Intermission Food Court at the All-Star Music Resort occasionally serves fried pickles. It’s not an everyday thing, and they sell out quickly.
Courtesy: Christian Thompson/Disneyland Resort
I’ve personally tried to replicate other Disney recipes—such as strawberry soup and the Dole Whip (one turned out much better than the other)—so I recommend a couple of tries before giving up. You might prefer more Parmesan and less Sriracha, or less lime juice and more Sriracha. How about pickle chips instead of spears? Or bread and butter instead of dill? The possibilities are endless! You can also adjust to make it gluten- and dairy-free.
Check out Disney’s fried pickle recipe for yourself:
Fried Pickles from Carnation Café from Disneyland Park
Makes 1 dozen
Zesty House Sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons favorite Sriracha sauce
- 1/2 cup favorite ranch dressing
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
Instructions for Zesty House Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in small mixing bowl, whisking well.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 16-ounce jar of dill pickle spears, about 12 pickles (should be uniform in size; cut in half widthwise, if necessary)
Instructions for Pickles:
- Using caution, pour oil into large skillet and heat to 365°F.
- Place flour in shallow dish.
- Whisk eggs until smooth in small mixing bowl. Transfer to another shallow dish.
- Mix panko and Parmesan cheese together in another shallow dish.
- Lightly dredge each pickle spear in flour.
- Add pickle to whisked eggs, tossing gently to coat.
- Add pickle to bread crumb mixture to coat.
- Place breaded pickle on tray and repeat steps until all pickles are breaded.
- Carefully place breaded pickles in skillet and fry until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with zesty house sauce.
This year is Disneyland’s 65th anniversary. The park has been doing a Cooking Up the Magic at Home series as a way to commemorate it during this global pandemic we’ve been in. If you can’t be there in person, at least your tastebuds can take a little trip.
Have you tried this fried pickle recipe? What’s your favorite Disney snack? Let us know in the comments.