Is KFC the next unsung hero of the fast-food industry? Their chicken and donut sandwich might just put them over the edge.
KFC has been releasing new menu items, first with the Beyond Chicken (their meatless chicken option) and now with their own version of the decadent chicken sandwich: a donut chicken sandwich. (Whaaaaaat?)
Here's the catch: The sandwich is only available at 40 KFC locations across southern Virginia and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, for a limited time. We expect them to sell out quickly so get one while they are still up for grabs.
I guess it's safe to say that KFC has officially joined the chicken sandwich war.
Courtesy of KFC
The chicken and donuts are being sold in two variations:
There's a chicken and donut basket that comes with chicken wings or boneless tenders, as well as one to two donuts. For $5.50, you can get one donut and the chicken wings or tenders, and for $7.50 you can get the wings or tenders with two donuts.
The chicken sandwich is being sold separately at $6 for the sandwich and $8 for a combo. The sandwich comes as a crispy chicken filet gently placed between two warm-glazed donuts. (*drools intensely*)
If you are feeling adventurous, you can even add on an extra donut for $1 to either the combo or basket. The donuts will come pre-cooked to the store and then fried in the fryer and glazed upon order so they will be hot and fresh.
Meanwhile, KFC tries to sell us our own death. pic.twitter.com/2lk5RkcqSh— Jared Wall (@JaredWall01) September 17, 2019
The company chose to begin selling donuts when they wanted to conduct an experiment to determine if people were craving the mouth-watering combo on a "national scale." I mean, we do love our chicken and waffles option, so this is essentially the same idea, only sweeter.
The announcement has taken storm on Twitter, and people are having mixed reactions from positive to questionable. We, however, are tempted to at least give it a try and see how the combination works.
According to a report by 13 News, you can find the chicken and donuts meal at the following locations:
- 1716 Monticello Ave, Norfolk, VA
- 199 W. Ocean View Ave., Norfolk, VA
- 1263 N. Military Highway, Norfolk, VA
- 3690 Sewells Point Road, Norfolk, VA
- 139 Battlefield Blvd. S., Chesapeake, VA
- 2212 S. Military Hwy., Chesapeake, VA
- 3148 Western Branch Blvd, Chesapeake, VA
- 556 Newtown Road, Virginia Beach, VA
- 2072 S. Independence Blvd., Virginia Beach, VA
- 1010 Independence Blvd., Virginia Beach, VA
- 12104 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News, VA
- 15496 Warwick Blvd, Newport News, VA
- 746 J. Clyde Morris Blvd., Newport News, VA
- 207 W. Mercury Blvd., Hampton, VA
- 1793A Southcreek One, Powhatan, VA
- 1620 Boulevard, Colonial Heights, VA
- 3011 Oaklawn Boulevard, Hopewell, VA
- 12321 Jefferson Davis Highway, Chester, VA
- 10310 Iron Bridge Road, Chesterfield, VA
Now for the million-dollar question: how will it taste? Check back later on our social media pages for the results.
Have you tried the sandwich? Do you think KFC is crazy or genius? Will you be trying one? Tell us in the comments!