Never been to a Comic Con? Come out June 16-18, Awesome Con is the region’s biggest and most popular comic book and anime convention.
The Walter E. Washington Convention Center is once again set to host Awesome Con, D.C.’s largest and most popular comic book convention. In fact, Awesome Con is perhaps the biggest pop culture convention in the entire mid-Atlantic region, rivaled only by the Baltimore Comic Cons, which are not quite as large. Awesome Con is nationally known and draws more well-known celebrity guests and artists. The Con is a three-day celebration of comic books, television, science, movies ,cosplay, technology and more.
The three-day convention provides fans the opportunity to explore hundreds of hours of programming which include expert panel discussions, celebrity panel discussions, film memorabilia exhibits, cosplay costume contests and fashion shows, and a large video game room, as well the vast array of comics presented by artists and vendors from across the country. The convention has made the kids zone more educational and playful and is calling it “Awesome Con Junior.” Other additions and improvements include the Pride Alley, which showcases the work of LGBTQ artists, and a more thought-provoking technology and science pavilion certain to cater to curious minds. This year’s Con is the fourth annual Awesome Con and promises to set new standards as a dynamic and more inclusive destination for Comic book lovers and fans of all things geeky.
The convention floor will be just as it has been in years past: jam-packed with vendors and attendees. The convention vendors sell everything from classic and vintage comics to Japanese animation and new, local and lesser known underground comics to action figures and dolls, t-shirts, hats, costumes, trinkets, collectibles, movies, cartoon videos, toys, games and much, much more. The convention floor also is host to new as well as some famous comic book artists who display, present, and sell their comic books; some even give table visitors a free comic to introduce their work to new readers. The well-known and famous comic book creators on the floor pose for pictures and sign autographs; there is also a separate area where fans can lineup at certain designated times to meet and greet celebrity guests and get autographs. Each year there is one special celebrity guest; 2017’s special guest is Stan Lee, the creator of Spiderman, the X-Men, The Hulk and many more popular comics.
The video game room is particularly fun. Last year over 50 different video game stations were setup for attendees and included games played on large ten foot by ten foot screens. The panels are interesting, particularly if you like comics and animation. Authors, experts and artists share their methods, knowledge and stories and answer audience questions.
Convention goers will also see lots of costumes - cosplay is a big and important part of Comic Cons and plenty of cosplayers come out for Awesome Con each year. Comic lovers don’t want to miss this year’s Awesome Con, and if you have never been to Awesome Con or a “Con” of any kind, you may want to visit the Washington Convention Center June 16-18. Below are the details of this year’s convention:
When: Friday, June 16; exhibit hall hours 12pm – 8pm, programming until 10pm
Saturday, June 17; exhibit hall hours 10am – 7pm, programming until 10pm
Sunday, June 18; exhibit hall hours 10am – 5pm
Where: Walter E. Washington Convention Center
801 Mt. Vernon Pl NW
Washington, DC 20001
Closest Metro stop: Yellow/Green line: Mt Vernon Sq/7th St-Convention Center
· Stan Lee (Creator of Spider-Man, Daredevil, Doctor Strange, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, X-Men)
From Doctor Who:
· David Tennant (Doctor Who, Jessica Jones, DuckTales, Broadchurch, Gracepoint)
· Billie Piper (Doctor Who, Penny Dreadful, Secret Diary of a Call Girl)
· Catherine Tate (Doctor Who, The Catherine Tate Show, The Office)
· John Barrowman (Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, Torchwood, Doctor Who)
· Wil Wheaton (Star Trek: The Next Generation, The Big Bang Theory, The Guild, Eureka, NUMB3RS)
· Khary Payton (AMC’s The Walking Dead, Teen Titans GO, Transformers: Robots in Disguise, Big Hero 6: The Series)
· Eliza Dushku (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Tru Calling, Dollhouse)
· Kel Mitchell (All That, Game Shakers, Good Burger, Keenan and Kel)
· Jason David Frank (Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers)
· Felicia Day (The Guild, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, Eureka, Supernatural)
· Greg Capullo (Batman, Reborn, X-Force, Quasar, The Creech)
· Scott Snyder (American Vampire, Batman, Swamp Thing, Voodoo Heart)
Cost: Daily and full weekend passes available
· Friday or Sunday Only Admission: $35
· Saturday Only Admission: $45
· 3-Day ‘Geekend’ Pass: $75
· Kids 10 and under: free with coupon code AWESOMEJR
VIP passes & experiences range from $150 to $379 and offer access to various celebrity appearances and special events.
Their website is updated regularly with new guests, exciting exhibitors, and special programming.