At last, 2020 provides something to be scared about in a good way.
For many, haunted houses and ghost yours have become a Halloween tradition and something to look forward to. But sadly, many of these attractions have been forced to close this year due to the uncertainty of COVID-19. However, these local favorites will still be opening (if they haven't already) and promise lots of scares and fun for those of us that like that sort of thing, even if it's slightly different than in years past.
All of the events listed are COVID-compliant. There will be handwashing stations, temperature screenings, plenty of hand sanitizer, and the new type of Halloween masks (you know the ones) required at all times. Social distancing will be in place but the rules might differ slightly depending on which activity you're participating in (ghost walks vs. haunted houses, for example) so be sure to check the website before you go.
Also, as of this posting, all of the safety measures are in place and the attractions are ready to roll, but many of them are selling out! Some tickets can only be purchased online and/or require reservations so, again, check with the event organizer before you head out the door.
Here are some of the top Haunted Houses and Ghost Tours in Hampton Roads.
Limited Time Only
Adults Only Twilight Cemetery Tours (Smithfield)
- 14477 Benns Church Blvd., Smithfield, VA 23430 (St. Luke's Historic Church & Museum)
- Friday, October 16 | Time slots: 7, 8, 9, and 10 p.m.
A hard cider tasting featuring Sly Clyde Ciderworks will be included in the experience (snacks provided). Guests must be 21 years of age or older to participate. IDs will be checked at the door. Dead men don't tell tales, but their tombstones do! St. Luke's has been the site of burials since the 1600s. Enjoy the stories of local saints and sinners on a guided tour through the ancient cemetery.
- 240 W. Freemason Street, Norfolk VA
- October 2–3
- Tickets—$20 for members and $25 for not-yet-members. Reservations are required and very limited at this time. To make a reservation email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the museum at 757-623-9814 Monday–Saturday from 10 to 4 p.m. Please leave a voicemail. There will not be an online option to purchase tickets at this time.
Discover a tale of murder and mayhem in this interactive tour of the Hunter House where you help solve the murder of a local club owner in the 1940s. Costumes are encouraged but not required by guests. Entry will occur every 30 minutes for groups of 4-6 to maintain social distancing. Masks are required by all guests over the age of 10. Light refreshments will be served in our garden.
Kay’s Haunted Trail Walk (Suffolk)
Kay's Haunted Trail Walk, Suffolk, VA (Facebook)
- 800 Lummis Rd., Suffolk, VA 23437 (Kay's Acres, LLC)
- Saturdays, October 10, 17, and 30 | 6-11 p.m.
- Tickets—$10 online, $13 at the door
Walk the torch-lit trails of Kay's Acres this October with the creatures and lost souls from a tragedy decades ago. This doesn't mean it's not a great place to enjoy yourself during the day. But at night, you can certainly tell... there's a lot here that hasn't left...
Terror Woods (Chesapeake)
- 900 Battlefield Blvd. N., Chesapeake, VA 23320 (Greenbrier Pumpkin Patch)
- October 16-17: 7:30–11 p.m.; October 23-31: 7:30—11 p.m.
Great Bridge Pumpkin Patch Presents: Terror Woods...COME IF YOU DARE, LEAVE IF YOU CAN!!!
- 1905 South Military Highway, Chesapeake, VA 23320
- Fridays and Saturdays, October 2–31: 7–10 p.m.; October 25–29, 7–9 p.m.
Frightmare is an intense and graphic haunt in Chesapeake, VA. Disturbing scenes of gore, carnage and horrific mayhem! Come scream with us! Recommended ages 14+
- 225 Sign Pine Road, Chesapeake VA
- Thursdays–Sundays, October 1–31: 7–10 p.m.
- Tickets—$25; $23 Group Discount of 6 people or more; $23 for active military, first responders, and law enforcement
A Haunting at Greenbrier Farms in Chesapeake! Bigger, Longer, & Better than EVER! The fright-night experience runs through October 31. This year we relive the horrid tragedy that happened here in 1971. Test your bravery across all six consecutive Haunt Attractions! Killing Corn, GB66 The Burial Grounds, Trail of Fears, Jungle Rot, Your Last RUN, Maniac House, Psych Ward
The Haunted Temple, Norfolk, VA (Facebook)
- 7001 Granby Street, Norfolk, VA 23505 (Masonic Temple)
- October 15–18; 22–25; 29–November 1: 7–10 p.m.
- Tickets—$15+fee, 12 & under: $8+fee; Magic Show: $10+fee.
Each year around Halloween, the Norfolk Masonic Temple transforms into the Haunted Temple. Actors take on the roles of creepy clowns, spirits, ghosts, and undead to bring the visitor’s nightmares to life, and the state-of-the-art animatronics and special effects ram up the terror. Those who emerge on the other end of the maze can wind down with a slice of pizza or a drink.
- 2850 Airline Blvd., Portsmouth VA 23701
- October 2–10, Fridays and Saturdays | October 15–24, October 26–31, and November 6–7, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays | 7–10 p.m.
- Tickets- $20 per victim; online or cash only at the door
Somewhere when you least expect it, you run into some of your worst nightmares. Perhaps in an autopsy room, or the electric chair, or worse, lost in a maze. Even the walls are determined to get you! Young and old alike are sure to have a frighteningly good scare or two at Spooky Acres!
- 2008 Atlantic Ave., Virginia Beach, VA
- Open every day, 2–11 p.m.
- Tickets: $13
Walk, run, crawl, or get dragged through the narrow hallways and ultra dark corridors of one of the country's top 10 haunted attractions. Now celebrating 31 YEARS OF SCREAMS! Nightmare Mansion is a walkthrough HAUNTED HOUSE in Virginia Beach. Not recommended for kids under 10.
- 2388 London Bridge Road, Virginia Beach, VA (Hunt Club Farm)
- October 2–4, October 8–11, October 21–31 | 6:30–11 p.m.
- Tickets—$27.27+fees for ages 8+. $20 for Farm Pass Members. Online Only.
Join the motley cast of characters for 30 YEARS OF EXTREME HALLOWEEN! The festival features three main attractions: Haunted Walk-Thru—Devil's Detour 2020, Field of Screams— Toxic Nightmare, and Village of the Dead—Evil Eyes. Please do not attend if you are unable to wear a mask.
- 440 West Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, VA
- Fridays and Saturdays, October 9–31; 7 p.m.
- Tickets—$20, $15 student/senior/military; $10 children 8–12
When you’re looking for a ghost tour with a pulse, join us. We deliver a delightful insight into Williamsburg’s early residents, their way of life, and their way of death. Some rest in peace, and some reach out from beyond the grave to communicate. Our ghost tour offers an education in local history, politics, civil rights, and even humor. The tour is perfect for ghost lovers of all ages. Many say we offer the best ghost tours in Williamsburg, VA. We think you will, too.
Spooks and Legends Haunted Tours—Ghosts, Witches, and Pirates Tour
- 490-500 E. Duke of Gloucester St., Williamsburg, VA 23185
- Fridays and Saturdays, 8 p.m.
- Tickets—$15 (children ages 6 and under are free)
This tour will take you to the darkest street in town, right to the jail. Your guide will share with you the many ways in which they decided if someone were a witch or not. You will hear of Blackbeard and his crew, town conspiracy, some historical trivia and even a little bit of ghosts thrown in.
- Colonial Williamsburg: Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, VA
- September– November
- Tickets—$19, $12 under 12
For a Halloween-themed experience this fall, check out our Haunted Williamsburg and Ghost Walk Junior ghost tours, which have been modified to comply with state and public health guidelines to reduce risks associated with COVID-19, including reduced capacity for tours and limiting programming to outdoor sites.
- Colonial Williamsburg: Duke of Gloucester Street, Williamsburg, VA
Calling guests of all ages! Ghost Walk Jr. is returning to the Historic Area to bring an exciting new interactive storytelling experience for those seeking less fright and more fun!
- 2054 Jamestown Rd., Williamsburg, VA 23185 (James City County Marina)
- October 1, 12–16, 18–23, 26–29 | 9:15 p.m.
Climb aboard the only river cruise Ghost Tour on the James River at Jamestown Island. Come listen to the stories of strange occurrences and hear of the spirits that still haunt America’s oldest permanent English settlement!
- October 1, 5, 8, and 9; October 12–15, 19–22, 26–29, and October 31 | 8 p.m.
Join us on The Murder Cruise at Jamestown Island. Explore the dark secrets the James River holds and hear what locals have known for years.
- Wednesdays through Sundays in October | 9:15 p.m.
Want to use real ghost hunting equipment in one of America's oldest and most historic towns? Our ghost guides will lead you on a two-hour candlelight walking tour to the most haunted houses and locations in Colonial Williamsburg!
- 345 W. Duke of Gloucester St., Williamsburg, VA 23185
- Tickets: $14
Have you ever wanted to walk through the streets of a historic town at night and discover it's hidden secrets? Then allow our expert storytellers to guide you on a candlelit walk through Colonial Williamsburg, while they share many strange stories and other-worldly happenings that have occurred over the years.
- 209 Church Street, Yorktown, VA 23690
- Thursdays and Saturdays, October 1- 29 | Sunday, October 11 | 8 p.m.
- Tickets—$14 adult, $12 military
Take a stroll with us through the dark, hallowed streets of historic Yorktown on this 90 minute candlelit walking tour. Listen to the eerie tales and legends of long dead residents and soldiers that still haunt this town. Your guide will be equipped with ghost hunting gear used by real paranormal investigators. Be sure to bring your camera! It is believed that paranormal entities often produce light phenomena in photographs. See you on the street!
Where will you be spending the Halloween season? Is your favorite haunt still open but isn't on the list? Let us know in the comments!