Finally, 2020 provides something to be scared about in a good way.
For many, haunted houses and ghost tours have become a Halloween tradition and something to look forward to. Sadly, this year, many have been forced to close due to the uncertainty of COVID-19. However, these local favorites will still be opening (if they haven't already) and promise lots of scares and fun for those of us who like that sort of thing, even if it's slightly different than in years past.
All of the events listed are COVID compliant, but many of them are already selling out! Some tickets can only be purchased online and/or require reservations so make sure to check with the event organizer before you head out the door.
Here are some of the top haunted houses and ghost tours throughout Virginia!
Note: Sadly, if you’re looking for “Boo at the Zoo Drive Thru” at the National Zoo October 24–25, it’s already sold out! Yikes!
Two Days Only!!
Warrenton Ghost Tours, Warrenton
- 10 Ashby Street, Warrenton, VA 20186
- October 17 and 24, 7–9 p.m.; Scheduled Tour slots: 7:00, 7:15, 7:30, 7:45, 8:00, 8:15
- Tickets are $15 per person.
- Advanced registration is required.
Join the Fauquier History Museum at the Old Jail for a journey through Warrenton's history of terrifying occurrences, unexplainable happenings, and downright scary paranormal sightings. Each group will be guided from the Old Jail in Warrenton throughout the town where storytellers will feature chilling, true tales of spirits haunting the town.
- 221 King Street, Alexandria, VA (Tours begin at Alexandria Visitor Center)
- Wednesdays through Sundays, Oct. 1–31, 7:30 p.m.; Friday and Saturdays, also at 8:30 and 9 p.m.
- Tickets—$15 for adults; $14 for seniors, military, and law enforcement; $10 for children
You’ll follow an 18th-century costumed guide by lantern light through the charming streets of Alexandria’s historic district known as Old Town. On this entertaining tour you’ll hear ghost stories, legends, and folklore. You will also hear about unsolved mysteries, tales of romance, and angry ghosts looking for revenge. Appropriate for ages 9 and up. No pets please.
The Death Trail (Dumfries)
- 16120 Dumfries Road, Dumfries, VA 22025
- Fridays and Saturdays, October 16–30; Sundown-11 p.m.
- Tickets—$15, online only; Introducing Virtual/Audio Queue to ensure social distancing.
The trail is a 30-40-minute walk through many scenes of destruction, darkness, and death. Each participant at the end is given a very short explanation of what they saw and then a message of how their life can be transformed from darkness to light.
- 9518 Workhouse Way, Lorton, VA 22079
- Friday, October 2–Saturday, October 31, 7-11 p.m.; Three Sundays, October 11, 18, 25; 7–10 p.m.
- Tickets—$60 per car
“Nightmare Alley” is the first immersive, completely contactless drive-thru Halloween experience in the region. New inhabitants will scare and entertain visitors experiencing the attraction from the safety of their cars. And our campus provides a unique and extra eerie setting for this Halloween attraction.
DarkWood Manor Haunted House (Luray)
- 104 N. Hawksbill St., Luray, VA 22835
- October 2-November 1: Fridays and Saturdays, 7–11 p.m.; Sundays, 7–10 p.m.
- Tickets—$20; Online only, time slots
We are not your typical haunted house. We combined detailed sets, movie quality make-up, and talented actors to create a scary and unique haunted house experience. Each year we tell a new story surrounding the legend of DarkWood Manor, with new characters and scenes.
Fear Forest VA (Harrisonburg)
- 6340 Oak Shade Rd., Harrisonburg, VA 22801
- Fridays and Saturdays, October 2–31; 7–11 p.m.; October 22, 28, and 29, 7–10 p.m.
- Tickets—$25 Fear Pass (All three attractions)
We dare you to visit the .4-mile walking woods trail, with access to the forest on a hay wagon ride. This is a no-contact haunted woods trail. We are located outdoors and operate by the full moon. Back this year with vengeance—Fear Crops Zombie Harvest!!! You get to ride a wagon and shoot zombies! The coolest attraction around!
Haunted Hollow VA (Warrenton)
- 8275 Maple Tree Lane, Warrenton, VA 20188
- Fridays and Saturdays through October
- Tickets—$20; Online only, time slots.
This haunted trail in and around the barns of an abandoned haunted farm will leave you breathless or gasping for your last breath ... come if you dare!
Haunted Nightmares (Winchester)
- 933 Barley Lane, Winchester, VA 22602
- October 2– November 1: Fridays, 7–10 p.m.; Saturdays, 1–10 p.m.; Sundays, 1–5 p.m.
- Daytime tickets (Saturday & Sunday, 1:00-5:00): $12.00 per person
- Nighttime Tickets (Any ticket purchased after 5:00): $15.00 per person;
Step inside and experience horror like never before! Haunted Nightmares is an intense attraction that features professional sets with theatrical lighting and special effects. (Our attraction is open during daylight hours on Saturdays and Sundays with a less aggressive show for a younger audience.)
Agony at the Farm (Moneta)
- 1191 Horseshoe Bend Road, Moneta, VA 24121 (Located at Spring Valley Farm)
- Fridays and Saturdays in October, 7–11 p.m. | Halloween weekend, will be open Thursday–Saturday.
- Tickets—$25; VIP Fast Pass—$35
This is a haunted house that will test your deepest, darkest fears. This will include a horse-drawn wagon ride as well as a walking guided tour.
Backwoods Haunted House (Jonesville)
- 222 Cress Lane, Jonesville, VA 24263
- Fridays and Saturdays in October | Dark–12 a.m.
Some things in this world should be left alone, but if you decide to visit the Backwoods Manor, you will find your scariest nightmares to be real... We look forward to making this the WORST night of your life!!
Haunted Holler (Bristol)
- 15128 Lee Hwy, Bristol, VA 24202
- Opening Night—Saturday, October 3, then Fridays and Saturdays through October | 7:30 p.m. for Haunted House | 8 p.m. for Haunted Corn Maze
- Haunted House tickets—$20 | Haunted Corn Maze—$15 | We stop selling tickets at 11 p.m. on Fridays and at 12 a.m.on Saturdays. We close when the last ticketholders go through.
Seasonal walk through one of the oldest houses in Bristol, Virginia. Built in the 1920s.
Helheim Haunted Attraction (Wytheville)
- 3081 Chapman Road, Wytheville, VA 24382
- October 2- November 7, Fridays and Saturdays, 7:30–11 p.m.
Helheim Haunted Attractions is the newest haunt in Southwest VA!
Hexed Haunted Attraction (Elliston)
- 2059 Burkette Rd., Elliston, VA 24087
- Fridays and Saturdays through October
- Tickets—General $20; VIP $30; Ultimate $50; Group (online only) $15 | Parking—$5, cash only
Scream through four bone-chilling attractions all for one price! When the phantoms and friends of the New River Valley crawl from their cursed graves, will you survive?
Terror Manor (Roanoke)
- 805 Norfolk Avenue SW, Roanoke, VA 24016
- October 1- November 7, Thursday–Saturday, 7:30-10 p.m.
- Tickets—$20; Extreme $40; VIP $50; Season Pass $100; Group of 10 or more $15
Terror Manor is Downtown Roanoke’s first ADA Commercial Haunted House featuring 35+ rooms of pure terror!
The Warehouse (Weber City)
The Warehouse, Weber City, VA (Facebook)
- 313 Legion Street, Weber City, VA 24290
- October 2–November 7, Fridays and Saturdays, 8 p.m.–close
OUTBREAK 2020- ARE YOU READY TO SCREAM?? We are ready to make you scream!! The Warehouse presents OUTBREAK 2020. Oh, the things we have in store for you this year will make even the most avid haunter tremble with fear. Come check out what’s new!! And whatever you do, don’t look behind you ...
Where will you be spending the Halloween season? Is your favorite haunt still open but isn't on the list? Let us know in the comments!