Make sure your CO detectors are within spec

Carbon monoxide is a tasteless, colorless, odorless gas that if ignored can be lethal. If there's too much carbon monoxide in the air, it will actually start to replace the oxygen in your blood and cause permanent tissue damage or worse. 

Luckily, we've got modern carbon monoxide detectors, but if they should ever fail, or you're in an old building, it's good to know what the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning actually are. 

So if you experience any of these symptoms, get to fresh air and seek medical care. 

  • Headache (even if it's just a dull one)
  • Feeling Weak
  • Dizziness
  • Shortness of breath
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Confusion

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of wood, natural gas, gasoline, charcoal, propane, and other fuels that are burning or combusting. In residential settings, a malfunctioning furnace is likely the cause and should be addressed immediately. If you're driving and you get stuck in deep snow, you should keep an eye on your car's exhaust pipe and ensure it's unobstructed.

If you suspect you might have a leak, and you've already sought medical attention, call an HVAC specialist or your utility provider to have them check your home or office for the gas. They'll often use special diagnostic equipment that can tell them exactly where the leak is coming from and address it. 

Until then, be sure to follow all warnings on things such as propane heaters, tent heaters, gas grills, or anything that combusts a fuel, and keep your CO detectors up to date (they expire)!

What are your thoughts? Do you have anything you'd like to add? If so, let us know in the comment!