It's common to assume that domestic violence equals physical assault.
If you're a victim or supporter of DV awareness, send us a photo wearing something bridal or purple to [email protected] and we'll post your photo. Post your own photo using #healingisjustice and make sure to tag @ourcommunitynow.
*Disclaimer: The following article may be triggering or hard to read for some. Please read with caution. Abuse can happen anywhere, to anyone, at any time—this includes online spaces.
The National Domestic Violence Hotline
We may notice that there has been sexual deviancy or coercive control inside a marriage, we may observe verbal, emotional, psychological, financial abuse.
But quite often the only question asked is, has he ever hit you? Has there been violence? And if not, then we assume it's not considered domestic violence. It's not abuse.
Assault is actually only a small part of the abusive system that makes up domestic violence.
Domestic Violence Is:
- the SECOND leading cause of death among African American women,
- the THIRD leading cause of death among Native/Indigenous women,
- and the SEVENTH leading cause of death among Caucasian women.
Research Tells Us:
- 1 in 3 women are sexually abused
- 1 in 6 men are sexually abused
- 82% of victims under 18 are female
- 88% of child sexual abusers are male
- Only 6 of every 1000 rapists spend even one day in jail
- 93% of child sexual abusers are known and trusted by the child
- 34% of child sexual abuse victims are under age 12, often starting by age 4
- More than 70% of DV victims are female
Most people realize, if someone says “I love you” and then hits you… something isn’t okay. But Domestic Violence (DV) is much more than bruises. Non-physical DV is far more damaging than we typically realize. And often we don’t even recognize it.
Domestic Violence Includes 13 Types of Abuse:
- Child Abuse
- Culture Abuse
- Emotional Abuse
- Financial Abuse
- Intellectual Abuse
- Pets+Property Abuse
- Physical Abuse
- Psychological Abuse
- Sexual Abuse
- Social Abuse
- Spiritual Abuse
- Verbal Abuse
All 12 types center around one core mindset: The abuse of power.