Flu season is upon us and counties all over Maryland are providing free vaccines. Here's a list of where you can find them.
No one wants to get sick, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) are urging the public to get their annual flu vaccines to protect against influenza.
According to the CDC, getting an annual flu shot is the best way to prevent the flu. Anyone over the age of 6 months old can get one unless they have an allergy to the vaccine or its components. In addition to getting vaccinated, the only surefire way to ward against influenza is by employing standard health precautions like washing your hands diligently and covering your mouth when you cough or sneeze.
Prince George's County
- WHEN: Ongoing, while supplies last | Wednesdays (Dyer) | Monday-Friday (Cheverly)
- WHERE: D. Leonard Dyer Regional Health Center or Cheverly Health Center
- WEBSITE: Prince George's County Flu Information for 2019
You won't need an appointment to get a free flu vaccine in PG County, but supplies are limited, so go sooner rather than later. All PG County residents over 6 months old and county employees are eligible for a free vaccine.
- WHEN: November 12 (ages 3-18), November 18 (anyone over 6 months old)
- WHERE: Locations vary by date.
- WEBSITE: Montgomery County Health Department Flu Clinics
Appointments are required to get a free flu shot, so click on the link above to secure a spot online. You can also call (240) 777-0311 to make an appointment over the phone. You must make a separate appointment for each member of the household.
- WHEN: Wednesdays while supplies last, appointments required
- WHERE: Frederick County Health Department | 350 Montevue Lane | Frederick, MD
- WEBSITE: Frederick County Immunizations Clinic
Only uninsured or underinsured children from 6 months to 18 years old are eligible for a free flu shot in Frederick County. Call (301) 600-1733 to make an appointment.
- WHEN: October 15 to December 18, 2019 | Tuesdays, 8:30–11 a.m. | Wednesdays, 1–3 p.m.
- WHERE: Calvert County Health Department | 975 Solomons Island Road, North | Prince Frederick, MD
- WEBSITE: Calvert County Flu Vaccination Notice
You don't need an appointment to get your free flu shot, but only children aged 6 months to 18 years old who are uninsured, American Indian, Native Alaskan, or not covered for a flu shot under their current insurance plan are eligible. Everyone else can come in for a $20 annual flu shot or a high-dose vaccine (recommended for adults over 65) for $55.
- WHEN: While supplies last
- WHERE: Baltimore County Health Clinics (see flyer for locations)
- WEBSITE: Flyer: Baltimore County Flu Shots for 2019
Residents in Baltimore County should contact their local health clinic to sign up for flu shot appointments. They are available to anyone over 6 months old as long as supplies last. For more information, click on the link for the flyer above or call (410) 887-2243 to find your local health clinic.
Courtesy of the CDC
Check with your local health department if your county isn't listed. Some regions may not be offering flu shots or may simply not have publicized their vaccination clinics yet. If you find one in your area, tell us about it in the comments!