This marks as the fourth consecutive year the Colorado Springs-based zoo has been recognized in USA TODAY's list.
Cheyenne Mountain Zoo (CMZ) in Colorado Springs has been selected as one of the 10 best zoos in North America by USA TODAY's 10Best Readers' Choice Awards. The CMZ came in at No. 4 for the best zoo in North America—in 2019, the zoo ranked at No. 6. Additionally, CMZ's Rocky Mountain Wild exhibit was voted as the No. 2 best zoo exhibit in North America.
Bob Chastain, President and CEO of the zoo, said in a statement:
"This ranking means even more to us this year, with the difficult times the zoo has been going through in 2020. Even though the zoo was closed due to virus restrictions for nearly three months, and we currently have limited capacity and other precautions in place, our fans and members still rally around us. To have that kind of community and nationwide support really means a lot."
This is the second time that CMZ has been ranked as high as the fourth best zoo, with the first time being back in 2018.
"This national recognition reminds us that the impact of our mission reaches beyond the city of Colorado Springs," added Chastain. "We were nominated amongst a group of impressive organizations, in markets much larger than ours, which makes us even more proud to have been named the fourth best zoo in North America."
USA TODAY's 10 Best Zoos in North America:
- Fort Worth Zoo – Fort Worth, Texas
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden – Cincinnati
- Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium – Omaha, Nebraska
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo – Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Brevard Zoo – Melbourne, Florida
- Audubon Zoo – New Orleans, Louisiana
- San Diego Zoo – San Diego, California
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum – Tucson, Arizona
- Dallas Zoo – Dallas, Texas
- Living Desert Zoo and Gardens – Palm Desert, California
Have you visited the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs recently? Share stories about your visits with us in the comments below.