What’s a summertime barbecue without a healthy helping of potato salad?
While potato salad comes in a variety of forms, this recipe is by far one of the most creative we’ve seen yet. Made with BetterBody Foods Avocado Mayo with Chipotle Lime, sweet potatoes, and fresh jalapenos, this flavorful recipe is sure to liven up your palate.
Avocado Mayo with Chipotle & Lime Sweet Potato Salad
Photo courtesy of BetterBody Foods.
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. BetterBody Foods Avocado oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 to 2 fresh Jalapenos
- Lime juice (2 limes)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 Tbsp. BetterBody Foods Avocado Mayo Chipotle lime flavor
- 1/3 cup BetterBody Foods Avocado oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Place chopped sweet potatoes and onion on a baking sheet, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix until evenly coated.
3. Cook until sweet potatoes are tender.
4. Place salad ingredients into a large bowl.
5. In a food processor or blender, combine dressing ingredients and pulse.
6. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and mix around.
7. Serve and enjoy!
This recipe was originally published by BetterBody Foods.
Check out the video below for a step-by-step tutorial on how to make this tasty dish yourself:
Sweet Potatoes vs. White Potatoes
There’s been an everlasting debate about which potato is better for you, so here’s a quick rundown of what each root veggie has to offer.
- One medium sweet potato (with the skin) contains just 130 calories.
- Sweet potatoes have a high fiber content, which helps prevent constipation.
- They’re anti-inflammatory and filled with vitamin B6 and potassium.
- The quickest way to cook a sweet potato is in the microwave. (Healthy and convenient!)
- Sweet potatoes can be mashed, roasted, baked, fried, or pureed.
- One medium-sized potato (with the skin) is 110 calories.
- Like sweet potatoes, white potatoes are also a good source of potassium, vitamin B6, and fiber.
- White potatoes have a lot of vitamin C, which helps to repair tissue wear and tear.
- Both white potatoes and sweet potatoes reduce inflammation.
- White potatoes can be mashed, roasted, baked, fried, or pureed.
What do you think? Will you be preparing this spicy twist on potato salad this summer? Have a favorite recipe you'd like to share? Tell us in the comments!